Breathe Free Mat-Su is a coalition of health advocates and concerned citizens working to improve the health of our community by eliminating exposure to secondhand smoke, preventing youth initiation of tobacco use and promoting tobacco cessation. We believe all Mat-Su Borough residents have the right to breathe smokefree air where they work, live and play. Research shows that smokefree policies not only protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke, they also encourage smokers to quit and discourage youth from starting to smoke.
As such, Breathe Free Mat-Su and our community partners:
- Promote smokefree policies in all indoor workplaces, including restaurants and bars
- Encourage homeowners to maintain 100% smokefree homes
- Encourage landlords and property managers to adopt and enforce 100% smokefree policies
- Promote tobacco-free campus policies in schools and other youth-serving facilities
- Engage community partners to build support for local and statewide policy campaigns
Breathe Free Mat-Su is a member of the Alaska Tobacco Control Alliance, a statewide network of health advocates committed to creating conditions for all Alaskans to live free from the harmful effects of tobacco. You can be part of that effort. Become an ATCA member or join a workgroup today!