Breathe Free Mat-Su is a coalition of health advocates and concerned citizens working to improve the health of our community by eliminating exposure to secondhand smoke and secondhand aerosol, preventing youth initiation of tobacco use and promoting tobacco cessation. We believe all Mat-Su Borough residents have the right to breathe smokefree air where they work, live and play. Research shows that smokefree policies not only protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke, they also encourage smokers to quit and discourage youth from starting to smoke.
As such, Breathe Free Mat-Su and our community partners:
- Support Alaska’s Smokefree Workplace Law that prohibits smoking in enclosed public spaces and workplaces, including buses and taxis, stores, bars and restaurants.
- Support the HUD ruling which prohibits smoking inside all public housing buildings.
- Encourage all homeowners to maintain 100% smokefree homes
- Encourage landlords and property managers to adopt and enforce 100% smokefree policies
- Promote tobacco-free campus policies in schools and other youth-serving facilities
- Engage community partners to build support for local and statewide policy campaigns reducing youth use of tobacco and eliminate exposure to second hand smoke and second hand aerosol